Each spring here in Michigan home owners put away the winter snow equipment and bring back out the lawn mowers, fertilizers and other lawn equipment. Spring is an important time for landscaping as it sets the tone for the rest of the season. Below are some helpful spring landscaping tips to get your landscape ready this Spring.
- Clean out fallen debris, such as branches and leaves left over from autumn and winter storms.
- Check your irrigation system, ensure your system is working and check each sprinkler head individually to make sure none of them need to be replaced.
- Fertilize, spread granular, slow-acting organic fertilizer. Slow-release fertilizer is more beneficial to your plants than fast-release fertilizer. Fast-release fertilizer can encourage excess growth which can make your plants more susceptible to insects and disease, they can also disrupt the life in the soil below.
- Mulch, mulching offers a wide variety of benefits and is highly recommended to protect and insulate your beds.
- Weed, clean out your flower beds and check your lawn for any weed growth.
- Prune your trees and shrubs as necessary. Pruning helps keep your trees and shrubs healthy by removing the dead, damaged and infected parts allowing for new healthy limbs to take their place.
- Sharpen your mower blades, having a sharpened blade helps to cut grass clean so the grass can recovery quickly.
- Aerate the lawn to treat compacted soil. Aerating your lawn helps oxygen, water, organic fertilizer and nutrients get to the roots of your lawn. By doing this you are helping them grow, which will make your grass greener and easier to maintain.
- Mow your lawn and edge as needed.