Thinking about adding an outdoor kitchen, fire pit or patio to your backyard? If so, you may be worried about the cost vs. return for outdoor living spaces. Is it a smart investment? Will an outdoor living space increase your home value? Read on to learn how to make the most of your backyard remodel.
Outdoor Living Is Now More Desirable Than Ever!
The COVID-19 pandemic forced most Americans to stay home and re-prioritize their time. As a result of that, we saw a big increase in demand for outdoor living. Homeowners throughout Southeast Michigan began looking for ways to expand their usable square footage. This is a trend we don’t see going away any time soon.
Regardless of stay-at-home ordinances, outdoor entertainment areas are always smart investments. As long as you make smart decisions with your outdoor living design, you can increase your home value and tour potential to sell the property in the future.
How to Maximize Your ROI for Outdoor Living Spaces
Every decision you make impacts your return-on-investment for backyard remodeling. Here are some tips to maximize your ROI.
- Establish a budget for your outdoor living space. When we create a custom landscape design, most of our decisions are driven by budget. If you cannot fulfill all of your goals with the current budget, we can plan the design in stages. Having a budget in place allows use to prioritize your backyard remodel in a way that works for everyone.
- Determine how the space will be used. Do you want a tranquil retreat or a fun setting for family barbecues? Do you plan to use the space mostly in the summer or winter? What features are you currently lacking in your backyard? These thoughts pinpoint functional elements of the design and act as the foundation for planning.
- Select neutral finishes that complement your home. The pavers, stone work, seating and plants around your outdoor living space should coordinate with the rest of your home. Create a cohesive design that flows with your interior and exterior spaces. This will help the space feel purposeful and personalized.
- Focus on your needs, then embellish with your wants. You may want a full outdoor kitchen with a TV and bar area, but perhaps you only need a clean patio with a grill. Plan for your needs first, and then you can add in your wants as the budget allows. This will keep you from over-investing in your backyard remodel.
- Check out comparable outdoor living spaces in the area. What will buyers be expecting when you go to sell your home? Get a feel for what else is in your neighborhood so you can scale your design as needed.
- Work with an experienced landscape designer. At Berns Landscaping, we have 30+ years of experience building custom landscapes and gorgeous outdoor living spaces. One of our award-winning designers would love to discuss your options. We’ll ask targeted questions about your goals and budget to create a plan that fits your needs.
Usage Value Is Just as Important as Property Value
Home value is important, but don’t forget about the usage value you could get from your outdoor living space. If having a big patio for entertaining would significantly improve your quality of life, go for it! The value you get out of your investment is equally as important as the financial return.
Get a Quote for Your Custom Backyard Oasis
Now that you know outdoor living spaces can increase home value, it’s time to plan yours. Our professional landscape designers in Oakland County MI, Macomb County MI and Wayne County MI are here to assist you. Call Berns Landscaping at (586) 756-1145 to get started.