The winter months are when most people tend to forget about their trees and landscaping. This is a big mistake, the correct timing of pruning can be very important for certain species of tree’s and for some tree’s that is during the dormant season.
Winter dormant pruning which is done prior to spring growth, leaves fresh wounds exposed for a short period of time before the wound healing process begins.
Advantages of Winter Dormant Pruning
- For some species pruning during the dormant season is the best time for the tree.
- Thinning the canopy and removing dead wood reduces storm damage potential.
- Deciduous plants are leaf free, allowing for more accurate pruning and reduced cleanup times.
- Insects and disease spores are inactive during the winter, reducing the chance for infestation.
- Rejuvenation and clearance pruning can be preformed with minimal risk of promoting sucker growth.
Emergency tree services are also a much needed service during the cold months of winter. Heavy snow and damaging winds can cause devastating effects to trees. Winter dormant pruning can also help prevent storm damage.
Winter Tree Services
Our certified ISA Arborist are ready to help you with your winter tree services. Call today to schedule your winter tree services and discuss if winter dormant pruning would be best for your trees. When you call the experts at Berns Landscaping, you can be sure that a professional Michigan Arborist will arrive to do the job. Unable to call? Fill out our online request form and we will get back to you at your convenience.